Healthy Bread Recipes
To celebrate Real Bread Week, give this yummy pecan and courgette bread recipe a try. It is easy to prepare and cook and it is healthy too.
It is a lovely moist bread that is delicious on its own or when served with your favourite cheeses, pickles, soups, salads, or BBQs.
I am sure it will become a favourite healthy bread recipe you and your family will love.
The timing for this recipe can vary quite a bit depending on the amount of moisture in the courgettes/zucchini.
Some recipes recommend draining the excess moisture after grating/shredding the courgettes/zucchini for more consistent results.
However, if you want deliciously moist bread, you won’t want to do that.
Instead, grate/shred the courgettes/zucchini. with a box grater placed over a large, rimmed plate, as shown, to collect the excess moisture. Then, bake the bread at a low temperature (see notes below) and check after 45 minutes to determine your final bake time.
Kitchen-Testing Notes: I tested this recipe at two temperatures, 325°F/165°C/Gas Mark 3 and 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. At the higher temperature, the outside developed a really nice golden-brown crust long before the inside was baked through.
Toward the end, the loaves needed to be covered with aluminium foil to prevent over-browning. For best results, I recommend using the lower temperature and adjust your bake time as shown in the recipe’s instructions below.
Let Us Get Started With This Delicious Healthy Bread Recipe
Yummy Pecan Courgette Bread
- Silicone Spatula
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Wire Rack or Cutting Board
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened, see recipe notes
- 3/4 cup raw cane sugar see recipe notes
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 3 cups plain/all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups courgettes/zucchini about 380 grams grated/shredded
- 1 1/4 cups pecans roughly chopped and divided
- Place your top oven rack in the centre position and pre-heat your oven to 325°F/165°C/Gas Mark 3. Generously grease two 900g/2lb loaf pans with butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract just until blended.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, a little at a time, and mix to combine. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula, as needed, to make sure the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated into the batter.
- Add the grated/shredded courgette/zucchini and one cup of pecans to the mixing bowl and fold into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans and place your pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining pecans on top of each pan.
- Return to your oven and bake for another 30 minutes before checking for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the centre of each loaf. If necessary, continue baking until the toothpick comes out clean. (Depending on how much moisture is in the courgette/zucchini, it may take an hour or slightly longer for the loaves to finish baking).
- Remove from oven and cool for several minutes. When cool enough to handle, transfer the loaves to a wire rack or cutting board. Slice and serve immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap once cooled and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!
We Hope You Enjoy This Courgette & Pecan Nut Healthy Bread Recipe
Please let us know by leaving a comment below or using our recipe star Rating system
To find out more about Real Bread Week and what is going on near you, pop over to their website