This is one of the recipes that seems like it is going to much be more complicated than it actually is. However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind before you get started…
First, the size of your frying pan/skillet matters in this case: You will need a 28cm/10-inch well-seasoned cast-iron or another oven-safe frying pan/skillet to prepare this recipe as written.
In addition, you’ll want to make sure the eggs and milk are room temperature before using, so plan to let them rest at room temperature for approximately 20-30 minutes before preparing the batter.
Although it may seem easier to skip step #2 (below) and blend all the batter ingredients in a blender from the outset, it is much easier to incorporate all the flour into the batter by pre-mixing it in a bowl, as described, first.
Finally, the actual cook time may vary depending on individual oven differences. As tested, the results shown were achieved after 20 minutes, followed by an additional 5 minutes once the oven was turned off. For best results, check after 16-17 minutes and adjust the final cooking time accordingly.
Tip: Omit or reduce the sugar in the batter if topping with pancetta, bacon, eggs, fresh herbs, and/or other savoury toppings.
Scrumptiously Tasty Pancake
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Hand whisk
- 28cm/10" Cast Iron Frying Pan/Skillet
- Sliced fresh fruit, icing/powdered sugar, and/or maple syrup
- Place the top oven rack just above the centre position and pre-heat your oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas mark 7.
- Combine the flour, eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into a blender and blend until aerated and no clumps remain about 1 minute.
- Use the butter to thoroughly grease the exposed surface of the pan/skillet, as shown, and then place in the hot oven just until melted. Remove from oven and carefully swirl to ensure the butter is evenly distributed across the bottom of the pan/skillet.
- Pour the blended batter into the centre of the hot pan/skillet and place in the hot oven. Cook until the edges are puffed up and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Turn off oven and allow the pan/skillet to remain in the oven for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for a couple of minutes before slicing. Serve immediately topped with fresh fruit, icing/powdered sugar, and/or maple syrup, if you fancy it. Enjoy!
If you are looking for a more traditional pancake recipe check out my Scrumptiously Easy Cheese Pancake Recipe With Fresh Berries
For more delicious pancake recipes check out the delicious website, 10 Sweet & Savoury Pancake Toppings.