The reverse sear is an easy cooking method where a thick cut of seasoned meat is slow roasted at a low temperature, then flash seared over high heat to create a delicious crust and a tender juicy steak or chop.
This method works particularly well with substantial bone-in cuts such a beef rib steaks. However, it can be used successfully with thick boneless steaks as I have done in this recipe.
Several factors will affect the total cook time for this method, including the internal starting temperature, the thickness of the cuts, and individual oven variations.
For the best results, remove the steaks from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and generously season both sides with salt at that time.
While roasting, check the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer after 20 minutes and adjust final cook time accordingly.
Instant Read Thermometer Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3rPfBo4 (replace with your affiliate link)
Note: The steaks shown here are cooked to medium-rare, with a final internal temperature between 54°C/130°F. You will need to adjust cook times to achieve different results.
- For medium cooked beef with a pink centre cook until 60°C/140°F.
- Medium-well beef with a slightly pink centre cook until 63°C/145°F
- Well-done with little or no pink centre cook until 68°F /155°F
Finally, one of the keys to achieving the perfect crust with this method is to make sure the steaks are as dry as possible before searing.
Placing the steaks on a wire rack set over the baking sheet before roasting will help with this, but it isn’t required. (In this test, the steaks were placed directly on the baking sheet and the resulting crust was consistent on both sides).
If you don’t have a good season cast-iron pan, I highly recommend the Bruntmor Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Single Burner 10X10 Reversible Grill and Griddle.
It is ideal for cooking succulent steaks and chops and is brilliant for cooking delicious pizzas.
You can use it on top of your cooker, in the oven, and even on a camp-fire.
If you don’t have a good instant-read thermometer, check out my favourite one. With the ThermoPro TP16 Digital Kitchen Probe is highly accurate and very easy to use.
You can put the probe in the oven which saves a lot of messing around when using hand-held ones like the one I was using when creating and testing this recipe.
How to easily cook juicy tender steaks and chops
- Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
- Chef's Knife
- Large Rimmed Plate
- 1 Kg sirloin/strip steaks 50mm-65mm/2" - 2 1½” thick
- 2 tsp garlic powder/granules
- 2 tbsp high-smoke point cooking oil canola or grapeseed or groundnut
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the top oven rack in the centre position and pre-heat oven to 250°F/120°C/Gas Mark 1. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. If desired, place a wire rack over the baking sheet and set aside.
- Place the steaks on the baking sheet or wire rack and generously season both sides with salt at least 20 minutes before roasting. Sprinkle with garlic powder and black pepper before placing in the oven.
- Place the steaks in the oven to roast for 20 minutes before checking the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer. Adjust the final cook time to achieve the desired results. (For medium-rare, the goal is 120°F/50°C at this stage – for a final cook time of 25-27 minutes for the steaks, as shown).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the steaks to a large, rimmed plate. Cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Add the high-smoke point cooking oil to a large cast-iron frying pan/skillet or griddle and set over high heat and set your ventilation fan to the highest setting. Uncover and pat the steaks completely dry with paper towels and season with additional garlic powder, salt, and black pepper, as desired.
- Once hot, add the seasoned steaks to the cast-iron pan/skillet or griddle and sear on one side for 1½ - 2 minutes. Turn and repeat on the remaining side for 1½ minutes, then sear each edge for 30 seconds each. Remove from heat and serve immediately with your choice of sides.** Enjoy!