A delicious nibble for the festive season full of sweet and savoury Christmasy flavours, which you can easily make in advance because they will last for 2 to 3 weeks in an airtight storage container. That’s providing you don’t take the top off 😊
They only take 10 minutes to prepare and cost a lot less than the shop-bought equivalent ones and without any of the nasties.
Deliciously Yummy Spiced Pecans
- Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
- Small Saucepan/Skillet
- Small Mixing Bowl
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey preferably local
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 cups whole pecans about 430 grams
- 1/4 cup coarse grain sugar/raw cane for dusting
- Place the top oven rack in the centre position and pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F./Gas Mark 4. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat and set aside.
- Combine the rosemary, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves, cayenne, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Add the butter to a small saucepan/skillet set over medium heat. When the butter is mostly melted, add the honey and maple syrup and stir to combine. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the pecans in a large bowl and pour the melted butter mixture on top. Add the spice mixture and stir until the pecans are completely coated in both
- Transfer the coated pecans to the prepared baking sheet and spread into a thin, single layer without overcrowding. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, giving the pecans a good stir after 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle half the coarse sugar on top and stir to combine. Repeat with the remaining sugar and cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks. Enjoy!