This deliciously sweet and savoury dish is sure to become a new family favourite. Here, fresh pineapple and spicy jalapeno/chillies are paired with toasted sesame oil, five-spice powder, smooth/creamy peanut butter, and fresh coriander/cilantro for a rich and flavourful combination.
As written, this recipe contains a couple of extra steps you can skip if you are short on time.
To make this a truly one-pot meal, simply place the well-trimmed and seasoned pork shoulder/butt roast directly into your slow cooker or Instant Pot TM without searing.
In addition, the juices can be thickened right in the slow cooker/Instant Pot TM by stirring in the arrowroot slurry with the other ingredients 30 minutes before it is done cooking.
Important Tip: Trim as much excess fat as possible from the pork shoulder/butt roast prior to cooking. This will greatly reduce the amount of fat that ends up in the very flavourful juices/sauce.
This recipe goes really well with our coriander/cilantro and lime rice recipe
If you do not already have a slow cooker, we recommend instead of buying one to buy an Instant Pot cooker because this has so many other uses and ideal if you have limited kitchen storage.
We recommend the Instant Pot 60 DUO Plus 5.7L which is a 9-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Cooker and included a Pressure, Slow, Rice, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer.
Deliciously Spicy Slow Cooked Asian Pork Roast
- Chef's Knife
- 6 litre/5 or 6-quart slow cooker or Instant Pot cooker
- 120 g brown/yellow onion diced
- 450 g fresh pineapple cut into 25mm/1" cubes
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce see notes
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey preferably local
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic grated/minced
- 2 tsp five-spice powder
- 200 g red/bell pepper a medium one cut into 25mm/1” chunks
- 20 g jalapeno pepper a medium sized one, finely diced
- 2 tbsp organic/natural sugar-free peanut butter organic, smooth/creamy
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 kg pork shoulder/pork shoulder butt roast trimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro chopped
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp arrowroot optional
- Add the onion, fresh pineapple chunks, soy sauce (*can substitute coconut aminos), rice wine vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, five-spice powder, red pepper, jalapeno/chilli pepper, and peanut butter to a 6 litre/5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Season the trimmed pork roast on all sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to hot pan and sear on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the seared pork to slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to medium and deglaze the pan with fresh pineapple juice. Use a spatula to scrape up flavourful brown bits from the bottom of pan. Remove from the heat and pour the pan juices into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook over high heat for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. When finished, stir in fresh coriander/cilantro and transfer the pork and pineapple mixture to a serving platter with a slotted spoon. Cover and keep warm.
- Optional: If desired, create a slurry by combining 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and ¼ cup of juices from the slow cooker. Transfer remaining juices from the slow cooker to a large frying pan/skillet over medium-high heat and whisk in the arrowroot slurry until well combined. Cook for several minutes or until sauce is reduced and thickened.
- To serve, spoon warm pork and pineapple mixture over a bed of cooked brown or cilantro-lime rice. Top with the juices or thickened sauce, if desired, and enjoy!