This roasted prawn, broccoli pasta recipe combines juicy lemony roasted prawns with broccoli making it a colourful pasta dish that is easy and quick to get to the table.
A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes adds just enough heat to round out the flavours of this satisfying and delicious meal.
Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
Delicious roasted prawns, broccoli and pasta
- Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
- Hand or Electric Whisk
- Large mixing bowl
- Large Saucepan
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice divided
- 2 tbsp honey preferably local
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 350 g frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 medium red onion sliced
- 450 g penne pasta you can use dried or fresh
- 500 g prawns/shrimps peeled and deveined, tail removed
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest preferably organic
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves roughly chopped
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place your oven rack in the centre position and pre-heat your oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas Mark 6. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat and set aside.
- Whisk together the olive oil, two tablespoons of lemon juice, honey, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and stir to combine then set aside.
- Combine the broccoli and red onion in a large bowl and pour two-thirds of the lemony olive oil mixture on top. Toss until the vegetables are evenly coated before spreading into a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Do not overcrowd.
- Place the baking sheet in preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and starting to brown on the edges.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the pasta according to the package directions in generously salted water. When the pasta is finished cooking, reserve one-half cup of the cooking liquid and set aside. Drain and rinse the pasta, then return to the pan. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Just before the vegetables are removed from the oven, toss the prawn/shrimp with the remaining olive oil mixture in the same mixing bowl used earlier. Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste and set aside.
- After 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the vegetables with a spatula. Add the seasoned prawn/shrimp to the baking sheet and carefully spread the shrimp and vegetables into a single layer without overcrowding.
- Return to the oven and roast for another 3-4 minutes, or until the prawn/shrimp is cooked through and opaque. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the oven and pour the roasted prawn/shrimp and vegetables into the pot with the cooked pasta. Add the remaining lemon juice, lemon zest, half the Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and the reserved cooking liquid. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if needed, and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately topped with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!